– Administrator of a temple, monastery or order.
– “Skandas;” the five ever-changing aspects that constitute a sentient being. How we experience the world: form, sensation, perception, mental formation, consciousness.
– enlightened being who foregoes nirvana until all others have been liberated.
– the historical Buddha, Shakiyamuni; Siddhartha Gautama. A man who lived 2,600 years ago during the Axial Age in the northern region of South Asia. Born a prince, he later left his royal life to find an end to human suffering as a mendicant monk until his enlightenment. After which he spent his life teaching what became known as The Dharma.
– awakening, enlightenment manifested
– hand position, used in zazen, in which left hand is cradled in right, thumbs lightly touching, forming an oval.
– the expression of generosity with no expectation of return. Donations from the heart given to support one’s zendo, priest, teachers.
– the teachings of the historical Buddha
– absolute reality, truth, phenomena.
– a formal, private interview between a teacher and a student.
– an ordained person who leads the liturgical service.
– seeing reality as it is; seeing through one’s dualistic perceptions based on conditioning; being awake and present in the moment; realizing one’s True Nature. The experience of oneness, manifested.